Dr Helen J Burgess
- Website: http://polyrhetor.io/cv.html
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 304-216-9018
Helen J Burgess is Associate Professor of English. She received her BA(Hons) and MA(Dist.) in English Language and Literature from Victoria University of Wellington, in New Zealand, and her PhD in English from West Virginia University. She has previously taught at Washington State University-Vancouver and UMBC.
Dr Burgess is active in the new media research community as editor of the online journal Hyperrhiz: New Media Cultures, technical editor of Rhizomes: Cultural Studies in Emerging Knowledge, and editorial board member for thresholds journal. She is also on the Board of Directors of the Electronic Literature Organization, and co-editor of Electric Press, a monograph series for born-digital multimedia and digital humanities projects.
Teaching and Research Interests
Digital humanities, electronic literature, multimodal composition, critical code studies, multimedia and web development, feminist crafting.
Dr Burgess is coauthor of Red Planet: Scientific and Cultural Encounters with Mars (2000) and Biofutures: Owning Body Parts and Information (2008), both titles published in the Mariner10 interactive DVD-Rom series at the University of Pennsylvania Press. Her latest work is Highways of the Mind (2015) an interactive book for iPad from Penn Press coauthored with Jeanne Hamming. She is currently working on digital humanities project Intimate Fields with fellow NCSU faculty member Margaret Simon.
- PhD in English from West Virginia University, 2003
- MA (Dist.) in English Language and Literature from Victoria University of Wellington, 1997
- BA(Hons) First Class in English Language and Literature from Victoria University of Wellington, 1993
- Tue: 1:30-3:00
- Thu: 1:30-3:00
- CRD 890 - 026Doctoral Preliminary ExamTBA
- ENG 426 - 001Analyzing Style11:45 - 01:00 T H0G115 Tompkins Hall