Dr Helen J Burgess
- Website: http://helenburgess.com
Helen J Burgess is Associate Professor of English. She received her BA(Hons) and MA(Dist.) in English Language and Literature from Victoria University of Wellington, in New Zealand, and her PhD in English from West Virginia University. She has previously taught at Washington State University-Vancouver and UMBC.
Dr Burgess is active in the new media research community as editor of the online journal Hyperrhiz: New Media Cultures, technical editor of Rhizomes: Cultural Studies in Emerging Knowledge, and editorial board member for the Computing Literature series at West Virginia University/University of Paris VII Vincennes Saint-Denis. She is also on the Board of Directors of the Electronic Literature Organization, and co-editor of Electric Press, a monograph series for born-digital multimedia and digital humanities projects.
Teaching and Research Interests
Digital humanities, electronic literature, multimodal composition, critical code studies, multimedia and web development, science fiction.
Dr Burgess is coauthor of Red Planet: Scientific and Cultural Encounters with Mars (2000) and Biofutures: Owning Body Parts and Information (2008), both titles published in the Mariner10 interactive DVD-Rom series at the University of Pennsylvania Press. Her latest work is Highways of the Mind (2015) an interactive book for iPad from Penn Press coauthored with Jeanne Hamming.
- PhD in English from West Virginia University, 2003
- MA (Dist.) in English Language and Literature from Victoria University of Wellington, 1997
- BA(Hons) First Class in English Language and Literature from Victoria University of Wellington, 1993
- Mon: 2:30-3:00
- Tue: 1:00-5:00
- Wed: 2:30-3:00
- CRD 885 - 008Doctoral Supervised TeachingTBA
- ENG 317 - 001Designing Web Communication11:45 - 01:00 M W109 Tompkins Hall