Dr Jennifer Anne Nolan
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching and Research Interests
- Twentieth-century U.S. print culture, periodical studies, and history of the book
- Twentieth- and twenty-first century reception history and reading practices
- Twentieth-century U.S. literature and culture
- F. Scott Fitzgerald (Program Coordinator for the 14th International F. Scott Fitzgerald Society Conference, 2017)
- Interdisciplinary approaches to twentieth-century U.S. literature and culture
- Twentieth-century U.S. literature
- American Studies history, theory, and methods
- Ethnography and life history theory, method, and composition
"Gearing Up for War: Faulkner’s ‘Two Soldiers’ and the Saturday Evening Post.” Faulkner and Print Culture, edited by Jay Watson and Jaime Harker, University of Mississippi Press, 2017. 108-120.
"Reading 'Babylon Revisited' as a Post Text: F. Scott Fitzgerald, George Horace Lorimer, and the Saturday Evening Post Audience." Book History, vol. 20, 2017. 351- 373.
"Visualizing 'The Rich Boy:' F. Scott Fitzgerald, F. R. Gruger, and the Red Book Magazine. The F. Scott Fitzgerald Review, vol. 15, 2017. 17-33.
"May Wilson Preston and the Birth of Fitzgerald's Flapper: Illustrating Social Transformation in 'Bernice Bobs Her Hair." Journal of Modern Periodical Studies (forthcoming 2018)
"The Car as a Vehicle for Teaching Ernest Gaines's 'A Long Day in November.'" Approaches to Teaching Gaines's The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman and Other Works, edited by John Lowe, Modern Language Association of America (forthcoming)
Review of What Middletown Read: Print Culture in an American Small City, by Frank Felsenstein and James J. Connolly. SHARP News, the newsletter for the Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, and Publishing, vol. 25, no. 2, 2016, pp. 16-17.
"Towards a Life History of Reading.” Reception: Texts, Readers, Audiences, History vol. 3, 2011, pp. 35-58.
“Cosmopolitan Magazine and the Art of Commerce: Illustration, Advertising, and “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber.” Hemingway in Paris: 18th International Hemingway Conference, Paris, France, July 2018
"Illustrating Women: Female Artists and F. Scott Fitzgerald's Saturday Evening Post Stories." The American Stort Story: New Horizons. Mainz, Germany, October 2017
"Langston Hughes: 'Refugee in [the Post's] America." American Literature Association. Boston, MA, May 2017
"Modernist Literature Meets Commercial Editing: Katherine Mansfield, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and the Women’s Home Companion." Modernist Studies Association. Pasadena, CA, November 2016
"Repositioning P.D. James for the 21st Century: Scribner, Mystery Fiction, and the Literary Canon." Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, & Publishing (SHARP) Annual Meeting. Paris, France, July 2016
"From Suffragette to Flapper: Illustrating Social Transformation in 'Bernice Bobs Her Hair.'" American Literature Association. San Francisco, May 2016
“Gearing Up for War: Faulkner’s ‘Two Soldiers’ and the Saturday Evening Post. “Faulkner and Print Culture: The Faulkner and Yoknapatawpha Conference.” Oxford, MS, July 2015
“Illustrating ‘The Rich Boy.’” “‘Gaelicly Yours, Scott Fitzgerald’: The Thirteenth International F. Scott Fitzgerald Society Conference.” Waterford, Ireland, July 2015
“Reading the Shelves: Book Display & the Creation of Readerly Identity.” Researching the Reading Experience. Oslo, Norway, June 2013
“The Paperback Revolution and the American Literature Classroom.” Society for the History of Authorship, Reading, & Publishing (SHARP) Annual Meeting. Washington DC, July 2011
“Cultural Authority and the GLBT Science Fiction Community.” SHARP (Society for the History of Authorship, Reading & Publishing) panel at the American Studies Association Annual Meeting. San Antonio, TX, November 2011
“Living with Books: How Books are used to Construct Identity in Domestic Spaces.” Material Cultures 2010: Technology, Textuality, and Transmission. The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, July 2010
- AY 2017-2020 Committee on Alumni and Honorary Members
- AY 2015-2017 Past-President
- AY 2013-2015 President
- NC State Delegate, Triennial Conference, Palm Beach, FL August 2012
- AY 2011-2013 Vice-President & President-Elect
- Ph.D. in American Studies from University of Maryland, College Park
- M.A. in English Language & Literature from University of Virginia
- B.A. in English and Philosophy from University of Texas at Austin
- Thu: 2:00-3:00