English Department Advising

If you are an English major, you have been assigned an academic advisor in the department. Your advisor’s name appears at the top left side of your degree audit.  Your advisor is here to help you with your academic progress.

Students have responsibilities as well!

  • You are responsible for making an appointment with your advisor each semester during the advising period. You will not be able to register for classes until your advisor releases the advising hold on your registration.
  • You are responsible for filling out your Planner so that your advisor can approve it.
  • You are responsible for completing graduation paperwork in the first week of the semester in which you plan to graduate.

Academic Advisors in English

Fall and Spring Semesters:

(scroll down for information on summer advising)

Arrange to see your advisor at least once a semester. Your advisor can help you in the following situations:

  • When you need your advising hold released to register.
  • When you need your Planner (plan for the semester) approved.
  • When you have questions about career options, courses, your concentration within the major, or your progress toward degree.
  • When you are experiencing difficulties in your academic program.

For assistance in the summer and with other questions, contact:

Dr. Jason Swarts, Associate Head / Director of Undergraduate Studies and Advising

Dr. Swarts is available to help you with any problems that your advisor cannot handle. Seek his assistance in the following situations:

  • When you need to have a course moved on your degree audit.
  • When you have questions about a transferred course not counting toward a particular requirement.
  • When you have questions about what to take on a study abroad program.
  • When you have been flagged under Progress Toward Degree in May and need a summer advisor.
  • When you are not able to locate your advisor and need immediate help.