Student Responsibilities

  • You are responsible for making an appointment with your advisor during the advising period (the week after the course schedule is published on the Academic Calendar).  You cannot register for classes until your advisor releases the advising hold on your account. You can make an appointment anytime by utilizing the Student Success GPS platform
  • You are responsible for filling out your planner in MyPack so that your advisor can approve it. 
  • You are responsible for completing graduation paperwork in the first week of the semester in which you plan to graduate. 
Arrange to meet with your advisor at least once per semester. You advisor can also…
… answer questions about career paths.
… provide guidance on your concentration and courses.
… review your progress towards your degree. 
… be a resource when you’re experiencing academic difficulties. 


View important semester dates, enrollment and drop deadlines, break schedules, and school holidays:

Academic Calendar

View the full list of courses that count towards the completion of your degree:

Degree Requirements

View a hypothetical schedule to help guide your course choices: 

Semester-by-Semester Plans

Registering for Classes 

Need help self-registering for classes? Click the links below for instructions and assistance.

Plan your Degree with the Pack Planner

Register with the Enrollment Wizard in MyPack

English Courses

Foreign Language Placement Exam

All students at NC State must demonstrate competency at the Elementary II level in a foreign language (FL* 201 for English Majors) as a requirement for graduation. Students who do not meet the proficiency requirement as determined by a review of the student’s high school record by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions – two years of high school study of the same language with a grade of ‘C’ or better in each of the two years – must take a placement test. 

How to take the Foreign Language Placement Test

Frequently asked questions about the foreign language placement test

Graduation Paperwork 

In addition to the University’s Graduation Application, the Department of English has its own processes to ensure successful degree conferral. You will receive a checklist from your advisor at the beginning of your final semester which will outline the Department’s needs. This may entail a survey, submission of a high-level paper in your concentration, etc. and is subject to change. Contact if you have any questions.