Applying for an Internship
Not sure yet want you want to do with your degree? Does your career trajectory require some on-the-job training? The English Department Internship Program can help you in defining and reaching goals.
Taught by the internship coordinator, the face-to-face portion of the course offers a space to address workplace experiences, issues, and unusual situations with the instructor and peers. Students reflect on assigned readings, job search tactics, career paths, and learn from guest speakers. Interns leave ENG 350 with a fully developed portfolio to showcase their best work.
This is your opportunity to find out what you like and don’t like. Take advantage of this time and get the most out of what your internship has to offer.
Irecka Smith, class of ‘07
To be eligible for application to the internship program, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Major or minor in a CHASS degree program
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA in your major, 2.5 GPA overall
- Have junior or senior standing for the semester in which you plan to intern
- Able to work 120 hours during the semester (10 hours/week for 12 weeks or 8 hours per week for 16 weeks) plus attend ENG 350 once per week
- Have dependable transportation to your internship (if necessary)
Scholarships are available for students interested in the internship program with a demonstrated need. Students who have sourced an un-paid internship in the non-profit sector but who cannot afford to work without pay should submit and application and references after being accepted into ENG 350.