Seeking out opportunities, writing and formatting resumes, and developing interview techniques are necessary skills to land an internship. You can also use these resources to continue your professional development after an internship.
NC State Career Development Center
Take advantage of the resources available to you through the University. You can post your resume, find out about upcoming career fairs and interviews, and get more personalized help from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences representatives.
- Researching internship opportunities – The Internship Coordinator can help you narrow down your search, but you're still going to have to figure out where you would like to apply for an internship. You may need to apply for several positions before you find the one most appropriate for you. Follow the link and look for ePack, job search resources, and career fair events.
- Resume Writing – If you don't have a resume, you'll need to create one for the internship program. If you do, you probably need to critique it to make sure it is as good as it can be. Your job is to put the best information you can on one page. Follow the link and download the career guide for sample resumes.
- Interviewing – It is important to know how to get interviews, what to do (or not do) at them, and even how to turn job offers down with tact. Follow the link and download the career guide to help prepare for interviews. Tips on appearance are also provided.
NC State Insitute for Nonprofits
Look for internship and volunteer opportunities within the local nonprofit community.
English-specific Job Resources
- Monster.com – The most popular site on the web for job seekers and employers.
- Internships in North Carolina – Find internship and job opportunities across the state on this site, powered by internships.com.
- Rights and Responsibilities – Students, employers, and professors should understand and fulfill their basic obligations so that everyone involved has a good experience.
- Job Search Advice – Tips and advice from CareerBuilder.
- Resume Blunders – Avoid common mistakes.