English majors and minors who have successfully completed ENG 350 are eligible to do a second internship for credit as an independent study.
If you are interested, you must complete the following steps:
- Talk with the Internship Coordinator about your interest in doing a second internship.
- Secure an internship
- Write a brief proposal (see Proposal Template).
- Submit the proposal to the Internship Coordinator for approval.
- Submit the proposal to the Associate Head of the Department of English for approval. The proposal must be submitted at least one week prior to the beginning of the semester when you will do the independent study.
- Once the proposal is approved, you will be registered for ENG 498 (independent study).
ENG 498 is a bit different from ENG 350. You will:
- Read a series of articles. Some of these you may have already read for ENG350. You may be asked to read articles specifically relevant to your position.
- Respond to a set of reflective writing questions for each article based on your new internship.
- Meet with the internship coordinator (gChat) about once every two weeks for about 30-45 minutes to report on your progress and discuss the readings.
- Create some type of semester-long project based on your internship. This can be a revised portfolio or a research project, depending on the type of internship.
- Update your resume.
- Work at least 120 hours at a different internship location from your first internship.
- Second Internship
- Participating Organizations
- Rights and Responsibilities
- Job Search Tips
- Resume Blunders