English majors and minors who have successfully completed ENG 350 are eligible to do a second internship for credit as an independent study (ENG 498).
If you are interested, you must complete the following steps:
- Talk with the Internship Coordinator about your interest in doing a second internship.
- Secure an internship
- Use the Proposal Template to create a syllabus, and complete the ENG 498 Proposal form.
- Submit the syllabus and the ENG 498 Proposal form to the Internship Coordinator for instructor approval.
- Once the proposal is approved by the Internship Coordinator, submit the complete proposal to the Associate Head of the Department of English for approval.
- The proposal must be submitted at least one week prior to the start of the semester you intend to do the independent study.
- Once the proposal is approved, you will be enrolled in ENG 498 (independent study).
ENG 498 is a bit different from ENG 350. You will:
- Read a series of articles. Some of these you may have already read for ENG350. You may be asked to read articles specifically relevant to your position.
- Respond to a set of reflective writing questions for each article based on your new internship.
- Meet with the internship coordinator (gChat) about once every two weeks for about 30-45 minutes to report on your progress and discuss the readings.
- Create some type of semester-long project based on your internship. This can be a revised portfolio or a research project, depending on the type of internship.
- Update your resume.
- Work at least 120 hours at a different internship location from your first internship.