English Major with a Concentration in Teacher Education
Dr. Jeff Reaser
284 Tompkins Hall
Video introduction to this program
The TED curriculum includes a study of English, American, and world literature as well as courses in literacy, the English language, educational psychology, and pedagogy, while preparing students for a career in secondary English education. Satisfactory completion of the current TED curriculum and additional College of Education requirements allows students to apply for licensure to teach in North Carolina.
Complete Degree Requirements for TED Concentration (click on “Humanities & Social Sciences” then scroll down to “English” to find the Teacher Education Concentration).
Helpful Links (for currently enrolled students)
NC State Course listings
College of Education’s Professional Development offerings
NC State’s Professional Education policies and handbook
Admission to Candidacy, including testing requirements for Praxis Core
Praxis II requirements for licensure
TED MAJOR REQUIREMENTS
ENGLISH MAJOR CORE REQUIREMENTS (18 hours)
- American Literature
- British Literature
- World Literature
- Language and Writing (ENG 328)
- Literacy in the U.S. (ENG 455)
TEACHER EDUCATION CONCENTRATION REQUIREMENTS (21 hours)
- Introduction to Literary Study (ENG 260)—3 hrs
- Applied Criticism (ENG 400)—3 hrs
- Author/Genre (select from this list, Group 200) –3 hrs
- Literature Elective (select from this list, Group 204)—3 hrs
- English electives (select from this list, Group 206)—9 hrs
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS (30 hours)
ECI 204 and ED 204 Introduction to Teaching 3 hrs
ED 311/312 Assessment 3 hrs
ECI 307 Teaching Writing 3 hrs
ELP 344 School and Society 3 hrs
EDP 304 Educational Psychology 3 hrs
ECI 450 Methods for Teach Eng 3 hrs
ECI 454 Student Teaching 12 hrs
Attention Applicants for Fall 2019 Admission: The TED concentration will reduce free elective hours from 3 credits to 2 credits, effective July 2019, in order to adhere to the new policy of 120-hour degree plans.
- Students may take no more than five 200-level courses in the major.
- All courses satisfying Department Requirements, except ENG 350, must be taken for a letter grade.
- Students must earn at least a C- for courses in English and at least a C for all courses in Education.
- Although some courses are listed in more than one category, no course may satisfy more than one requirement.
- 30 of your last 45 hours must be taken at NC State.
- The Associate Head will approve the following courses to satisfy a major requirement only when the content is appropriate to the requirement: ENG 394, ENG 420, ENG 460, ENG 491, ENG 539, FL 495.
- Additional state-mandated GPA requirements related to licensure may preclude some students from being allowed to continue in the program. Consult the program coordinator for information on these GPA gateways.
For general questions, contact the Coordinator of the Program, Dr. Jeffrey Reaser email@example.com.
**As part of the departmental graduation checklist process, all English majors seeking to graduate in the fall or spring term must submit a paper/project composed in an advanced-level course within their concentration area. Additional information regarding this requirement is provided to seniors at the beginning of the semester in which they plan to graduate.**