Get the latest updates on NC State's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus) and access resources to stay informed. Learn more here.
Minor in American Literature
The Department of English offers a minor in American Literature to NC State students, except LAN and LIT English majors.
This minor focuses on the English-language literature of the United States and of the British colonies out of which the United States emerged.
The minor consists of any five courses in American literature, three of which must be at the 300 level or above and one of which must be at the 400 level or above.
Two courses may count for both a student's major and minor.
Students may transfer in no more than six credits to this program. The student must achieve at least a 2.0 GPA in the minor and may count towards it no course with a grade lower than a C-.
- ENG 248 Survey of African American Literature
- ENG 252 Major American Writers
- ENG 265 American Literature I
- ENG 266 American Literature II
- ENG 298 Special Projects (when the topic is in American Literature)
- ENG 368 American Poetry to 1900
- ENG 369 The American Novel of the Nineteenth Century
- ENG 420 Major American Author
- ENG 448 African-American Literature
- ENG 468 American Romantics
- ENG 469 American Realism and Naturalism
- ENG 470 American Literature, 1914-1945
- ENG 471 American Literature, Since 1945
- ENG 476 Southern Literature
- ENG 491 Honors in English (when the topic is in American literature)
- ENG 498 Special Topics in English (when the topic is in American literature)
To declare a minor, students should complete and submit the Declare a Minor form to Registration and Records. Consult with the Minor Coordinator (below) for approval prior to submitting the form to Registration and Records.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students can monitor their progress toward completing the minor by viewing their Minor Degree Audit online, anytime, in MyPack Portal.
Questions regarding unmet course requirements on your Minor Degree Audit (indicated by a red ‘X’) should be directed to the Minor Coordinator, below.
Dr. Allen Stein