Minor in Creative Writing

To complete a Creative Writing Minor, you need 5 courses in creative writing and/or writing theory, no more that two at the 200-level, one at the 400 level or above, and you must make a C- or better.

Choose five courses (15 hrs) from the following:

  • ENG 281 Introduction to Creative Nonfiction
  • ENG 287 Explorations in Creative Writing
  • ENG 288 Fiction Writing
  • ENG 289 Poetry Writing
  • ENG 330 Screen Writing
  • ENG 381 Creative Non-Fiction
  • ENG 388 Intermediate Fiction Writing
  • ENG 389 Intermediate Poetry Writing
  • ENG 422 Writing Theory and the Writing Process
  • ENG 426 Analyzing Style
  • ENG 430 Advanced Screenwriting
  • ENG 488 Advanced Fiction Writing -- Workshop
  • ENG 489 Advanced Poetry Writing -- Workshop
  • ENG 499 Special Topics in  Creative Writing

Key Points:

  • The 400 level workshop courses usually have a prerequisite (typically the 300-level courses) or require the permission of the instructor.
  • You may take ENG 488 or ENG 489 twice with professor approval.
  • You may declare your intention to complete the minor using the minor declaration form (available in Tompkins 246 or R and R) at any time after you have completed the first-year writing requirement (ENG 101). The minor is available for all undergraduate students except CRW English majors.
  • You may count up to two courses as part of both your major and your minor.
  • You will be held responsible for completing all required courses and should work with your academic advisor to schedule the courses you need (share this sheet with him/her).
  • No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
  • At the beginning of the semester in which you plan to graduate, complete the minor application form with the coordinator of the Creative Writing Minor.


Students can apply for admission to any university minor program in MyPack Portal. Admission will be based on the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.

How to add a minor


The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students can monitor their progress toward completing the minor by viewing their Minor Degree Audit online, anytime, in MyPack Portal. 

Questions regarding unmet course requirements on your Minor Degree Audit (indicated by a red ‘X’) should be directed to the Minor Coordinator, below.

Minor Coordinator

Eduardo Corral
Tompkins Hall 286
Box 8105, NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695