ENG 332: Communication for Business and Management
Typically, students majoring in the following fields enroll in ENG331 (note that this is not a complete list):
- Business Management
- Textile and Apparel Management
- Students will become familiar with the purposes, audiences, and conventions of written communication in the contexts they expect to work in after graduation: business and public organization environments.
- They will learn to recognize and construct effective arguments for a variety of audiences and to adapt these to the formats and conventions of various documents and genres.
- They will learn the relationships between written communication and oral and visual supplements.
- They will practice precision, clarity, and appropriateness of verbal expression for different readers.
- They will experience writing as a process, including planning, drafting, reviewing, revising, and criticizing.
- They will learn to collaborate effectively in teams to create or review documents.
- They will become more self-conscious and reflective writers by being asked to analyze and justify the strategies they use in their writing.
Typical Course Assignments
While there is some variety in assignments based on instructor and textbook, the following list provides an idea of some of the typical assignments in ENG332. All students can expect to produce at least 20 pages of text during the course of the semester and make at least one oral presentation. Most sections of ENG332 have at least one collaborative assignment.
- Career portfolio
- Negative news
- Informal and/or Formal Report
For more detail about specific assignments, you can view the web sites of some sections of ENG332 at http://www.courses.ncsu.edu/eng332. Note that not all instructors provide materials online for ENG332.