Starting your application is easy.Get started
The M.A. is a 33-hour program offered in four concentrations: literature, rhetoric and composition, linguistics and film studies.
Regardless of which path you choose, you’ll select from a broad array of courses that will help you meet your personal and professional goals.
We offer four areas of concentration that represent distinct dimensions of our discipline. While all options share an emphasis on research and critical thinking, each provides diverse pathways for exploring culture and language. You'll hone your expertise through each concentration's core and elective curriculum. And at the end of the 33-hour program, you'll fine-tune and showcase your knowledge through a capstone project.
We welcome applicants with various academic, personal and professional backgrounds. Home to about 60 total students, our program is a tight-knit community of faculty and scholars who can help you get where you want to go. We also offer fully-funded graduate teaching assistantships to top applicants.
- Fall Semester Enrollment: Feb. 1 to be considered for teaching assistantships; July 31 for admission only. For applications to be submitted after April 15, you may want to contact the Director of Graduate Programs to ensure that program capacity remains available before submitting an application.
Enrollment: Dec. 1
All of the skills I learned are transferable to other fields.
M.A. graduates work in a variety of disciplines and industries. Some alumni enroll in doctoral programs and pursue research and teaching careers in literature, linguistics, rhetoric or film studies. Other M.A. graduates go on to teach in community colleges, secondary schools, literacy centers and other educational settings. Still others pursue careers as writers, editors and media specialists outside the academy.
Job titles for recent alumni include:
- Marketing development manager
- Proposal writer
- Doctoral student in English literature
- Cognitive linguist
- Documentary filmmaker
- Community college instructor
- Content writer and strategist
- High school English teacher
- Development editor