The English Honors Program offers talented and highly motivated English Majors special opportunities for advanced study. In many instances, students may use their Honors coursework to fulfill core requirements in the English Major. Students should consult with their advisors to determine how particular courses fulfill core requirements. Please contact the Director of English Honors with inquiries about upcoming seminars or graduating with English Honors.
My desire to pursue English Honors was two-fold: I wanted to have access to courses that would prepare me for graduate school and, as a nontraditional student, I had a desire to build a network of other highly motivated and passionate English students. I discovered a diverse group of peers who loved the field as much as I did, and I found the Honors course offerings and access to graduate courses to be invaluable as I prepared my applications to graduate schools.
Charles Fleming ('21)
Advantages of Honors
- Priority enrollment appointments for students within respective class levels (freshmen, sophomore, junior and senior);
- the opportunity, with other highly motivated students, to take small seminars (15 students or fewer), that are taught by some of our best, most enthusiastic professors;
- the option, where appropriate, to write an Honors Thesis that can be submitted to graduate schools as a writing sample;
- the chance to sign up for graduate seminars;
- an additional distinction on your transcript, curriculum vitae, and job application that will set you apart from the crowd.
- A 3.5 overall GPA or higher
- Completion of at least 3 English (ENG) courses at the 200, 300, or 400 level with a minimum 3.5 GPA
Plan of Study
Students should work with their advisors and the Director of English Honors to develop a Plan of Study. This plan must include nine hours of Honors coursework made up of:
- at least one Honors Seminar (ENG 491; 3 credits)
- at least one graduate class (ENG 5XX; 3 credits)
- an additional 491 Honors Seminar or ENG 5XX class
If a student has a particular academic subject they wish to research and a faculty member they wish to work with, three hours of English Honors credit may be accomplished through a Directed Independent Study (498H). Contact the relevant faculty member and the Honors Director at the start of the semester prior to when you wish to take the course for next steps.
If your advisor suggests that you pursue an Honors Contract to complete English Honors Program Requirements, please email the Honors Program director before the start of the semester for which you will take the course.
Graduating with Honors
Students who successfully complete Honors in English will be recognized in the Commencement Program and will receive the transcript designation "Completed Disciplinary Honors Program."
To graduate with Honors in English, students must:
- complete at least nine credit hours (three courses) of Honors coursework with a grade of "B" or higher in each course
- achieve a minimum 3.5 GPA in English and overall
- give a short presentation at our end-of-year celebration sharing, in a casual and supportive environment, one of the research or creative projects undertaken in your Honors coursework