Get the latest updates on NC State's response to COVID-19 (coronavirus) and access resources to stay informed. Learn more here.
Minor in Journalism
The Department of English and the Department of Communication offer a minor in Journalism to N.C. State students, except Language, Writing and Rhetoric (LWR) English majors. The minor provides coursework in writing and editing news and features for print and non-print media, as well as an introduction to the profession of journalism.
- Completion of 15 credit hours of coursework at the 200 level or above as listed below.
- No more than 2 courses (6 hours) of transfer credit
- Must have an overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a 'C-'.
- 4 required courses and 1 elective course.
- Two courses may count for both a student's major and minor.
Required Courses (12 credit hours)
- ENG 214 Introduction to Editing OR ENG 417 Editorial and Opinion Writing
- ENG 316 Principles of News and Article Writing
- ENG 416 Advanced News and Article Writing
- COM 267 Electronic Media Writing: Theory and Practice
Elective Courses (3 credit hours)
Choose 1 of the following courses:
- COM 421 Communication Law
- COM 431 Communication in Political Campaigns
- COM 441 Ethical Issues in Communication
- ENG 350 Internship in Writing and Editing
- ENG 417 Editorial and Opinion Writing
- ENG 520 Science Writing for the Media (with permission)
Only open to Communication Majors
- COM 417 Advanced Topics in Communication and Race
- COM 447 Communication and Globalization
- COM 457 Media and Family
- COM 487 Internet and Society
To declare a minor, students should complete and submit the Declare a Minor form to Registration and Records. Consult with the Minor Coordinator (below) for approval prior to submitting the form to Registration and Records.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students can monitor their progress toward completing the minor by viewing their Minor Degree Audit online, anytime, in MyPack Portal.
Questions regarding unmet course requirements on your Minor Degree Audit (indicated by a red ‘X’) should be directed to the Minor Coordinator, below.
Professor Paul Isom
107 Tompkins Hall