Minor in Technical and Scientific Communication
A minor in Technical and Scientific Communication is available from the English Department for N.C. State students, except Rhetoric and Professional Writing (LWR) English majors, who are interested in supplementing their studies in technical, scientific, or other academic fields with strong writing and communication skills.
- A total of 15 hours of course work is required for the minor.
- Students may transfer no more than 6 hours of courses toward the minor.
- Must have an overall 2.0 GPA in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a 'C-'.
- 9 hours are required, while 6 are elective within 2 specific course listings.
- Two courses may count for both a student's major and minor.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- ENG 214 Introduction to Editing (3cr)
- ENG 314 Technical Document Design and Editing (3cr)
- ENG 421 Computer Documentation Design (3cr), or
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Elective I - Students must choose one course from the following:
- ENG 331 Communication for Engineering and Technology (3cr)
- ENG 332 Communication for Business and Management (3cr)
- ENG 333 Communication for Science and Research (3cr)
Elective II - Students must choose one course from the following:
- ENG 350 Internship in Writing and Editing (3cr)
- pre-approval is required for ENG 350. Contact Minor Coordinator, Dr. Huiling Ding, for approval.
- ENG 425 Analysis of Scientific and Technical Writing (3cr)
- ENG 520 Science Writing for the Media (3cr)
- ENG 508 Usability Studies for Technical Communication (3cr)
To declare a minor, students should complete and submit the Declare a Minor form to Registration and Records. Consult with the Minor Coordinator (below) for approval prior to submitting the form to Registration and Records.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students can monitor their progress toward completing the minor by viewing their Minor Degree Audit online, anytime, in MyPack Portal.
Questions regarding unmet course requirements on your Minor Degree Audit (indicated by a red ‘X’) should be directed to the Minor Coordinator, below.
Dr. Huiling Ding